Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tatting: the poor man's crochet


In this picture is a hardanger christmas tree and two tatting projects.  These are the only pictures I have of my tatting projects.  There were a few more but I don't know who has them or what they were.
I call tatting the poor man's crochet because needle tatting (as opposed to shuttle) is not unlike crocheting except you only use one knot over and over in interesting patterns.  Crochet has many different knots.
I learned needle tatting from a book I picked up at the cross stitch convention in Valley Forge PA years ago.  They were available from Nordic Needle for a while also.
I am also the proud owner of several old tatting books my grandmother gave to me.  Many of the projects are needle-tatting-able, although they were designed for shuttle tatting.  What is the difference?  I forget because I haven't tatted in a long while.

Try something new
patty

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The tatting is lovely. I always have to chuckle when I hear tatting called "Poor man's lace". I've never heard the "Poor Man's crochet" before, that's a new one.
Did you know tatting was done by royalty!? It's hardly a "Poor Man's" anything! It's a very noble and regal craft and something I am very proud to say I do.
That is a wonderful heritage you have from your Grandmother.

Solstitches said...

Hi Patty,
Thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment :)
You tatted projects are so pretty! I've tinkered with shuttle tatting but cannot seem to get beyond practising the double stitch and a picot.
Seeing what you've done has inspired me to have another go.

Margaret

pv said...

Tatting Chic, thanks for visiting my blog you are the first to comment on my posts. I did not know that tatting was made by royalty. That is cool! I may not have very many things from my grandmother but I have her crafting ability which is way better than things.

pv said...

Solstitches, thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for the compliment. I find needle tatting to be simple and understandable. Picots are easy on the needle. You just leave a space between knots. Here is a web site with a video:
http://www.freepatterns.com/content/content.html?content_id=121