Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stained Glass: The kitchen cabinets



This is my biggest stained glass project I have made.  These are cabinet doors in my brother's house.  They wanted clear see-through glass with no colors at all.  And they wanted simple lines.  Well you have to do what the customer wants. 

I had great trouble doing these doors because of the bipolar and the depression.  I had no confidence of being able to make these panels.  One thing I did to make life easier was to have the center glass cut for me by an expert- who by the way closed his store.  I made the border pieces and assembled the panels on my own.  The reason I did not cut the center pieces is because I do not really know how to cut large straight edges.

The glass is clear german antique.  The expensive stuff acording to the store owner. 

The panels came out straight and beautiful.  They fit perfectly into the cut outs in the back of the door.  I am a mechanical engineer and know pretty well how to dimension things to get them to fit.

These doors were made with the copper foil tape method.  I used 1/4 wide tape to make them stronger.  I did not use any other form of reinforcement that I can remember.

I am very upset right now as my brother is looking for a new house and who knows what will happen to these doors.  It is very upsetting.  I can just see them getting ripped out and chucked.  But maybe most people will just think they are factory installed and leave them thinking they belong there.  How many people would commission new stained glass doors.

It is hard to believe that I was entrusted to make such a grand project with the little experience I have.

I gave these as a gift and did not get payed for them at my request.  I have a hard time with having people pay me for things I make.  I give them as gifts.  The only thing I recieved money for is polymer clay.  When my camera batteries are charged I will start taking pictures of my clay items.

Happy blogging!

No comments: